Europe Trip




My ten week Europe trip/vacation for this year is coming to an end. It's been a lot of fun, but by now I miss my home, my family and my friends. I'm eager to get back and start were I left off. I've seen a lot of cool places, learned a lot and made new friendships. I know this trip will make a difference in my life and my career. Europe is one continent but no country is the same, and Romania is no different. From Greece to Spain to Romania, I found many similarities, yet many contrasts. The Greek people I found friendly, open, fun-loving, the Spanish family oriented, regionalists, very helpful to their onw, yet not very tourist friendly. The Romanian people are not as warm as they used to be. The people I met and know have mixed feelings about the US and judge too much. I think they were let down by their own regime too many times and don't trust anyone. They seem to think very low of themselves as a nation. They know that they cannot rely on each other. They people in the small villages are very warm and welcoming, but that is not the same in the big cities. The communist mentality is still alive and I think it will take a lot of years until it will be completely gone. I've seen a lot of change in the country, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

I want to end my trip to Romania with a photo of an old lady that was so happy to see me. We've never met, yet she was so happy to have someone to talk to for a few minutes. I could sense the loneliness... in her life. Her kids probably moved on to the city to build something better, a life in the new democracy and she was left caring for her animals and garden. Her face was aged, using a stick to lean on for walking was painful, yet her sincere heart was young, kid-like, hopeful, friendly, smiling all the way. She has been trough a lot in her life, probably always catering to either her husband or kids and now she is alone. That is the story of so many old people I have seen, it make my heart so sad. That's a methaphor for the Romania of today. Most towns, small cities are old and forgotten. The courageous ones have left the country to better themselves. The ones that are left are alone, underpaid, lonely, trying to survive. On the other there are the ultra rich, with opulent houses and cars that go vacationing in Monaco, Dubai and other amazing place. I'm hopeful that there will be better days ahead for my little country, where things will balance out, and everyone gets a chance at a better life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What is the Social Role of the Graphic Designer?

Chiho Aoshima's Art